Webpart doesn't work

May 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM

We've installed webpart according to instruction, but it won't appear (just webpart header) on the page while letting to set up parameters.

Is there any special conditions to set up your solution on MOSS 2007 (32bit)? Is there any possibility to obtain error message while webpart is connecting via SSO?

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Hi Anton

Sorry this has taken me a while to respond, I haven't been checking the forums!

Now, a couple of things... The web part won't appear unless it is able to successfully connect to the middle tier SSO server. Then, even if the SSO server fails to obtain a windows live token, it will still appear it will just use generic login prompts rather than SSO.

So it looks to me like it can't find and/or can't connect to the middle tier SSO server... Are you able to send me a copy of the app.config file from the SSO Server, as well as a screen shot of the web part settings you've configured, and/or the web.config settings if you configured those in the web.config (just comment out any passwords obviously).

Cheers

Brendan

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Brendan,

Does it NEED to connect to the middletier sso server? In the documentation there is no mention of a middle tier server when using the direct connection option and when using the direct connection option, there are no images only the top line of the webpart. Same as Anton mentioned.

Also we are having an issue when using the sso middle tier server that it keeps giving the eror proxy authentication required when no proxy has been configured.

Hope you can shed some light :)

Regards

Jack

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I am experiencing the same issue?  I'm really green to this type of technology.  I am attempting the direct connections.  It works and I see the web part when I install the central administration web.conf but when I the same information in the portal.cmccd.edu:8080 VD web.conf I do not see the web part. Not sure what a middle tier would be...  Can you explain?

Thanks,

Mitchell

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:28 PM
Edited May 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Sir,

I’ve got it working now. The method I used was :

If previously installed:

- Remove webparts from page

- Remove webparts from webpart gallery

- Remove web.config entries

- Deinstall all components from control panel\programs and features

Then follow the manual from steps 3.1 till 3.3 J <- NOT further!!!

Then you have a working environment!

Regards

Jack

-

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM

when you say "move" do you mean "remove"?

Thanks,

Mitchell

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Indeed, seems that some characters did not come through after using bullets

Remove all installed items then reinstall using the manual from 3.1 till 3.3 J

Regards

Jack

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Thanks!  Sorry to keep picking your brain but I'm not sure on the following and what to put in?:

CertificateFile

: this is the full path and filename to your Live@EDU authentication certificate, which should have been supplied to you by Microsoft.

CertificatePassword

: this is the password for opening the certificate file supplied by Microsoft.
Nov 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM

No Problem.. Been that road too so it’s nice when somebody can assist.

When you applied your school for live@edu, you were given the option to request SSO and request a certificate.

You can go 2 ways, you can enter the path to the PFX file (so store it on your server somewhere) and enter the password OR you can use the resourcekit tool winhttpcertcfg.msi which is in the SSO Download Package on connect.

Also there is a setupcert32.bat and setupcert64.bat. To use the second method, you first need to import the certificate in to your local computer certificate store (instructions are in the sso kit)

Then you will need to change the batchfiles to also give your sso user account rights to read the private key.

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Regards

Jack

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Ok.  I have reinstalled and went through the steps with the same result.  Any reason why it would work in Central Admin and one of my sites?  Lost here....

Thanks,

Mitchell

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Why centraladmin ?? you do not have to do anything to the centraladmin site or web.config

Only files you need to edit are the sso server config (in your start menu) and of the site that will host the webpart for your users.

Also make sure that you use an account for the sso server and an account to access ad

Ok, step by step:

First the configuration of the sso service

Server should be the netbios servername not localhost

Domain : should be your edu domain name

Certificatethumbprint is the value in the certificate just copy past that value and make sure the account the sso service is running under can access the private key

Don’t know if you use an AD property for the live account or some other method? Make sure that the live account is without @liveEduDomainname just the accountname

Sso service can run under network service.

Next step:

Web.config of your portal site where you will add the webpart

Make sure that the ssoserver is the same name as in the sso service config.

Also the sso account needs to be filledin here which is domain\username

Then the activedirectorydomain entry I used the domaincontrollername.domain.local and not only the domain.local name

Make sure accesstype=ssoserver.

Also did you change the url of the images to the right location on your portal? I’ve uploaded to the sitecollection images folder and changed the links to that

After adding the webpart to the webpart gallery, you can add the webpart to a new blank site or something like that.

So do NOT configure anything in the webpart! If you did then please remove the webpart, remove from gallery and remove web.config entries and software and start again, seems to keep its settings somewhere..

Please check your application log for errors.

Regards

Jack

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Ok, I have retried with the same error, no webparts visiable..

The only thing that I'm doing is editing the web.conf in central admin and the web part appears.  However, when I edit the web.conf for portal the web parts do not appear.  Web.conf is identical in each site.  What would am I missing? 

You mentioned that if it cannot "connect" the webparts will not appear. Obivously, Central Admin can "connect", how can I verify the portal site?

Thanks,

Mitchell 

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I have installed a new "vanilla" install of SharePoint and it works.  I'm working with a company named Datatel that has a custom "Active Campus Portal" which is sharepoint under the covers.  Any thoughts on what in their webparts or their custom features would cause this app not to work?  I'm working with now so any direction would help.

Thanks,

MItchell

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Mitchell,

Could you look at this article and let me know if this works at your end?

http://dwjack.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3EE7D7517C0BC5AE!1521.entry

Regards

Jack

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I'm having the same problem.  Only header shows, nothing else.  I'm trying to go the route WITHOUT using the middle-tier server.  I have a cert from Microsoft, followed the directions very carefully, and nothing's working. 

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM

You should use the middletier solution. If you need help with that let me know. Important is that you use the thumbprint of the certificate in the livesso config.

Please read my blog about the fourportal solution to help you with the private key settings for the network service. If it still does not work I will create a blog post with all the steps needed.

Blog has moved to : http://blogs.dawnworld.org due to unreliable service of livespaces due to this move not all pictures are present but hope it is still readable.

Live@edu post : http://blogs.dawnworld.org/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=6

Regards

Jack

Sent: dinsdag 9 maart 2010 15:39
To: Jack Linssen
Subject: Re: Webpart doesn't work [LiveEDUSSO:56168]

I'm having the same problem. Only header shows, nothing else. I'm trying to go the route WITHOUT using the middle-tier server. I have a cert from Microsoft, followed the directions very carefully, and nothing's working.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (LiveEDUSSO@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email LiveEDUSSO@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Thanks Jack

Could you tell me more about the winhttpcertcfg process -- what syntax do I use when I run that?  I haven't done that and I suspect it may be the issue.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The process is this command :

winhttpcertcfg.exe" -g -a "NETWORK SERVICE" -c LOCAL_MACHINE\My -s sapipartner.com

where network service the account is that runs the sso service and sapipartner.com the name of the certificate.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Regards

Jack

Sent: woensdag 10 maart 2010 14:25

Thanks Jack

Could you tell me more about the winhttpcertcfg process -- what syntax do I use when I run that? I haven't done that and I suspect it may be the issue.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (LiveEDUSSO@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email LiveEDUSSO@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Ok, I think I got the certificate processed...when I look at it in the cert store, it says there's a corresponding private key.

In the WindowsLiveSSOServer.exe.config, where it asks for the thumbprint, do I want to use the spaces like it's formatted when I look at the certificate, or take out the spaces?  I tried both ways, still not working either way unfortunately.

I'm wondering if I have things setup right in the regular web.config for Sharepoint.  For example, where it says "SSOServerUser" -- I used a local domain admin account, just for testing purposes since that should have access to everything.  Is that correct?

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Sso server config:

You can just copy paste from the certificate details to the configuration file.

Web.config

Ssoserver user is just a domain account does not have to be admin.

Did you use the command I gave you to set access rights for network service to the certificate?

Also the service account for the sso service in services.mmc can stay network service you don’t have to change that.

I’m going to post a new blog about this configuration, I think that will clear things up..

My new blog location is http://blogs.dawnworld.org the old one http://dwjack.spaces.live.com  has been deleted by live services without giving a reason.

Regards,

Jack

Sent: woensdag 10 maart 2010 14:45

Ok, I think I got the certificate processed...when I look at it in the cert store, it says there's a corresponding private key.

In the WindowsLiveSSOServer.exe.config, where it asks for the thumbprint, do I want to use the spaces like it's formatted when I look at the certificate, or take out the spaces? I tried both ways, still not working either way unfortunately.

I'm wondering if I have things setup right in the regular web.config for Sharepoint. For example, where it says "SSOServerUser" -- I used a local domain admin account, just for testing purposes since that should have access to everything. Is that correct?

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:15 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Jack -- Yes i ran that command.  If I run it again now, it says "Private key access has already been granted for account:  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE"

I noticed that in the web part itself, there's an entry for CertificateThumbprint, and it's empty.  There is no key in the server's web.config for the thumbprint, only in the config for the SSO middle tier server.  Does there need to be?

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Good. So how are you testing the solution now?

From a client to the sharepoint server where the site is in your intranet zone? Or from the sharepoitn server itself or ? and what errors are now in the eventlog

Sent: woensdag 10 maart 2010 16:15

Jack -- Yes i ran that command. If I run it again now, it says "Private key access has already been granted for account: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE"

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I'm testing from the Sharepoint server itself.  Do I look in the server's eventlog, or is there a separate log for this?

Also I want to verify, in the configs where it asks for the server name, i've still got 'localhost'.  I'm assuming this is ok since the middle-tier server is installed on the sharepoint server itself?

I see the web part in Sharepoint -- icons and everything are there, but I click on Mail and it just opens a login.live.com   login page.  I'm logged into Sharepoint using a user who has a @edu email account setup already, and has that account listed in his sharepoint credentials.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM

From the event log:

An error occurred attempt to grab an SLT for user: liveedu@live.hodges.edu. The error returned was:
0x80048101: The header in the soap request is invalid
0x80044021: The site cannot be authenticated, the certificate provided cannot be verified.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Yes, just check the application evenlog of the sharepoint server.

I normaly use the netbios name of the server in both configuration files instead of localhost.

Question: did you request sso in your live@edu management site?

Sent: woensdag 10 maart 2010 16:22

I'm testing from the Sharepoint server itself. Do I look in the server's eventlog, or is there a separate log for this?

Also I want to verify, in the configs where it asks for the server name, i've still got 'localhost'. I'm assuming this is ok since the middle-tier server is installed on the sharepoint server itself?

I see the web part in Sharepoint -- icons and everything are there, but I click on Mail and it just opens a login.live.com login page. I'm logged into Sharepoint using a user who has a @edu email account setup already, and has that account listed in his sharepoint credentials.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Did you create this user in the live@edu site by ilm or other tools?

Sent: woensdag 10 maart 2010 16:24

From the event log:

An error occurred attempt to grab an SLT for user: liveedu@live.hodges.edu. The error returned was:
0x80044021: The site cannot be authenticated, the certificate provided cannot be verified.

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Yes, we requested SSO -- they then provided us with a cert, and an ID #.

That user was created using the live@edu admin web interface.  I'm not sure what ILM is. 

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’ll send you my email address to the liveedu address if we resolve it we can post the solution here.

Sent: woensdag 10 maart 2010 16:24

From the event log:

May 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Edited May 6, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I am having the same problem as many here.  Web Part installs and can be deployed to a page, but nothing displays except the title bar.  I have been requested to use the Direct Connection method, not the middle tier solution.  I installed the certificate using the utility, and retrieved the thumbprint.  I configured all the appsettings in web.config as well as the SafeControls and the assemblies.  Do I need to add something to the list of trusted sites on the server to allow the connection to work?  Just for completeness I tried the middle tier solution on a test server and that did not work either.

The appsettings in web.config look like this (###### and xxxx used for security):

<!-- The following keys enable support the Windows Live@EDU Single Sign On web part globally -->
    <add key="SiteID" value="######" />
    <add key="ProxyServer" value="" />
    <add key="LoginTimeOut" value="30" />
    <add key="CertificateFile" value="" />
    <add key="CertificatePassword" value="" />
    <add key="CertificateThumbPrint" value="e7 ad d6 ed ff 53 31 c4 f3 d8 0c 51 d9 7c 89 ae a2 9d 77 47" />
    <!--<add key="CertificateThumbPrint" value="e7add6edff5331c4f3d80c51d97c89aea29d7747" /> -->
    <add key="AccountStore" value="ActiveDirectoryProperty" />
    <add key="ActiveDirectoryDomain" value="xxxx.xxxxxx.edu" />
    <add key="ActiveDirectoryProperty" value="extensionAttribute3" />
    <add key="ActiveDirectoryUser" value="xxxx\#sharepointsso" />
    <add key="ActiveDirectoryPassword" value="xxxxx" />
    <add key="AccessType" value="Direct" />
    <add key="LiveEDUDomain" value="email.xxxxxxx.edu" />
    <add key="LiveEDUImageURL" value="http://xxxxxxx/images/liveedulogo.png" />
    <add key="DisplayMailLogin" value="True" />
    <add key="MailImageURL" value="http://xxxxxxx/images/liveeduemail.png" />
    <add key="DisplaySkyDriveLogin" value="True" />
    <add key="SkyDriveImageURL" value="http://xxxxxxx/images/liveeduskydrive.png" />
    <add key="DisplayCalendarLogin" value="True" />
    <add key="CalendarImageURL" value="http://xxxxxxx/images/liveeducalendar.png" />
    <add key="DisplayPhotoLogin" value="True" />
    <add key="PhotoImageURL" value="http://xxxxxxx/images/liveeduphotos.png" />
    <!-- End Live@EDU Settings -->

May 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Did you check your Application Event log for error messages?

also the site needs to be in "Intranet Zone" as you are trying to use a SSO solution so he needs to read your current username. Also the best thing to do is first to try to setup a connection using the SSO kit 4.1 or 4.2 depening on when you requested your live@edu domain. If that works then you can switch to using web parts. this to make sure that on both ends (your's and microsofts) all settings are configured correctly. please check my blog for more information about the sso kit. Will be posting my experience with sso kit 4.2 soon but little busy at the moment :)

Regards,

Jack

May 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Hi Jack,

No, there are no messages in the Application Event log.  I have tried the install on two different sites.  One is a Forms Based Authentication site in the Default Zone, the other is a NTLM site.  I will take a look at the SSO kit, we have version 4.2 here already.

May 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Edited May 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Well, tried using the test site in the SSO kit, and I get the following whenever I attempt to go to the site:

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\a9580bb1\59143225\App_Code.n9twbxqd.dll' -- 'The directory name is invalid. '

I'm not sure this has anything to do with my problem with the web part, but I suppose I need to solve one thing at a time...

May 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Good.  Check that the application account that the website is running on has read/write rights (modify) to the named directory.

Indeed, one thing at a time J

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Jack

Sent: vrijdag 14 mei 2010 14:23

Well, tried using the test site in the SSO kit, and I get the following whenever I attempt to go to the site:

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\a9580bb1\59143225\App_Code.n9twbxqd.dll' -- 'The directory name is invalid. '

I'm not sure this has anything to do with my problem with the web part, but I suppose I need to solve on thing at a time...

May 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM

The application account; that would be the account assigned to the application pool?

May 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Well, as it turns out the compilation error has just gone away this morning, without any help from me!  Mysterious.

I think some progress is possible ...

May 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Ok, I got the test site to work using the StudentLogins.XML source for the LiveID.  At this point I need to check with our network folks, I suspect they may have not yet populated the AD attribute we are supposed to be using to store the LiveID.  That would explain why StudentLogins.xml works but AD attribute does not...

May 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I was able to get the web part working on our ntlm site, but the fba site still does not work.  Is SSO workable on a Forms Based Authentication site?  There must be some additional steps if so...

May 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Hey there,

Theoretically it should work as it is a user account with attributes and if one of those attributes is a live account or if the 2 are the same then it should work.

But you can also choose to use another ad for your extranet accounts so that way you still can use formbased  by using isa for example and use ntlm for all other processes also this helps solve the problem that sharepoint and formbased (sql) authentication does not work nicely with mysites.

Regards

Jack

Sent: maandag 17 mei 2010 16:30

I was able to get the web part working on our ntlm site, but the fba site still does not work. Is SSO workable on a Forms Based Authentication site? There must be some additional steps if so...

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:24 PM
Hi all, I'm also trying to get this to work, but the result is the well-known webpart title with nothing more... Tried the other tutorial from MS-connect with their tools but no luck so far. Just removed everything and reinstalled it. no luck... Is there anybody who knwos how this works? isn't there a test you can do just to know it connects fine etc.? If you need the SSO config and the webconfig... just let me know and i'll post them. Kindest regards, Stijn
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Got it installed, used the direct connection instead of the middle-tier version. Everything works... Next question is this: is it in any way possible to add a office live icon in there that connects to office live? Stijn
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I used the direct connection and I faced the same problem. Web Part header appears but nothing else. I changed to SSO server, made the modifications to the AppSettings in Web Config and it worked immediately. Strange...

Maybe it is because I use Forms based authentication.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:38 AM

In my testing if the sso server part of the web.config is incorrect you will get the title of the webpart and nothing else.

However I now have this problem:

An error occurred attempt to grab an SLT for user: . The error returned was:
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Server: <detail><psf:error xmlns:psf="0x800481221033Invalid" _mce_href="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Passport/SoapServices/SOAPFault"><psf:value>0x80048122</psf:value><psf:description><psf:lcid>1033</psf:lcid><psf:text>Invalid">http://schemas.microsoft.com/Passport/SoapServices/SOAPFault"><psf:value>0x80048122</psf:value><psf:description><psf:lcid>1033</psf:lcid><psf:text>Invalid Passport ID
</psf:text></psf:description><psf:serverInfo>BAYIDSPRTI1B03 2010.08.19.23.20.55</psf:serverInfo></psf:error></detail>

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:54 AM

Nevermind it is working

The problem was for me that I had it on the front page where the user has not yet logged in.

If the user clicked the sharepoint sign-in button it auto logged them in and then the webpart works correctly.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM

We are facing a strange new problem lately...

Everybody can login to the Sharepoint portal fine, They can acces the live@EDU webpart and click on the icons...

Then nothing happens! The popup shows, saying that's it's loging in but results in a blank page.

People are complaining they can't read their mails, login in through outlook.com never poses any issues for them. So i guess the problem is with the SSO webpart...
And it's only affecting some persons and not all.

Any ideas?

Stijn